Through FortisBC and BC Hydro’s Social Housing Retrofit Support Program, charities and non-profit housing providers can receive energy study funding, implementation support funding, and incentives on a variety of high-efficiency natural gas and electric upgrades for your renovation projects.
Additional incentives are available for non-profit housing providers through CleanBC’s Social Housing Incentive Program. Funding is available for energy studies, implementation support, and custom energy efficiency measures.
Energy Study Funding – offers up to $8,000 for the completion of an energy study.
Implementation Support Funding – up to $11,000 is offered for implementation support, such as project management, project specification, engaging contractors and preparing required documentation and invoices for submission.
Incentives for Energy Conservation Measures – you can access a variety of energy conservation measures.
Visit the program’s website to see all incentives and incentive amounts in detail.
- You must be a registered charity that provides assistance to low-income persons, or a housing provider that is:
- You must be a commercial customer of FortisBC (natural gas or electricity) and/ or BC Hydro, or a municipal utility*.
- The building where energy efficiency upgrades will be implemented must be an existing multi-unit residential building with a minimum of nine units. Spaces being retrofitted should be common areas. Recreational spaces can qualify.
- Participants must be approved before accessing funding and incentives through this program.
*Natural gas customers include those with FortisBC piped propane service. Municipal electric utilities include New Westminster, Grand Forks, Penticton, Summerland, and Nelson Hydro.
How to Apply
- Carefully review the terms and conditions to confirm your eligibility.
- Contact your FortisBC key account manager or email email@example.com to request an application.
- If your project involves measures for electricity only and your building is in BC Hydro’s service area (including New Westminster), contact your key account manager at BC Hydro or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For deadline information, please contact your key account manager or technical advisor.
- Check out the Energy Conservation Assistance Program that can help income-qualified residents save energy with a free home energy evaluation, installation of energy-saving products and advice.
- Check out our incentive search tool for other energy efficiency upgrades incentives.
- Did you see a building science or energy efficiency term you did not understand? Check out our glossary.